About the position:
Americares provided emergency funding and technical support to local organizations in Poland and Ukraine supporting children and adults caught up in the crisis. The MHPSS Support Officer will assist the MHPSS Officer in overall MHPSS coordination in the region and for the MHPSS Response Team. This would include support from the MHPSS team to provide technical support to NGOs from Poland, Ukraine and other neighboring countries.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The MHPSS Support Officer will work with the MHPSS Officer to support the overall MHPSS Ukraine response and programmatic work. Specific activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Support technical advice from identified local NGOs (with government stakeholders and response actors as necessary) and work as a team to determine appropriate response objectives in accordance with Coordinated Response Objectives and IASC, Americares and guidelines and related ethics
- Assist the MHPSS Officer in providing daily updates to the Team Leader and assist with organizational updates as requested
- Track and organize notes from regular meetings with MHPSS Regional Team, MHPSS HQ Team and other departmental meetings on technical, strategic and programmatic issues
- Support MHPSS managers to update assessments to support strategy, program development and coordinated response.
- Work with M&E staff and Ukrainian and Polish MHPSS officials to ensure timely evaluation of capacity building efforts, including the use of quantitative and participatory methods.
- Track participation in humanitarian and MHPSS working groups and coordination bodies by MHPSS Ukraine Response staff.
- Assist in local NGO capacity building efforts in AFP/PSS, staff care, trauma-informed care and related training
- Support protection integration efforts with the MHPSS agent.
Key requirements and skills:
- Graduate degree in psychology or related discipline, with coursework in mental health and psychosocial programming in humanitarian or emergency settings
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in mental health and psychosocial programming with significant experience in disaster/humanitarian crisis settings
- Develop a track record in supporting strategy development, program design, conducting trainings and providing technical assistance in MHPSS
- Experience in humanitarian coordination of an MHPSS context
- Experience with IASC and UN guidelines, community-based psychosocial support initiatives and MHPSS (i.e. Psychological First Aid) capacity building preferred
- Fluency in English and Polish required, fluency in Ukrainian is an advantage
- Willingness to travel and work in remote areas
- Able to work collaboratively with multiple teams and stakeholders
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that responds to people affected by poverty or disaster with life-changing health programs, medicines, and medical supplies. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries and all 50 US states with more than $600 million in innovative health programs and quality medical aid. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicines and medical supplies.
Americas global health programs seek to address crisis and create change by creating pathways to health and opportunity. We aspire to help individuals, families and their communities achieve better health outcomes that lead to years of good health, so they can reach their full potential.
In response to the war in Ukraine, Americares has emergency response teams on the ground in Poland, assessing health needs and coordinating shipments of medicine and supplies to Ukraine. Americares’ response focuses on delivering medicine and medical supplies, supporting health services, and supporting local organizations that provide mental health and psychosocial support to refugees and survivors who have experienced trauma.
As a global health organization, we are committed to ensuring a safe environment for our staff, partners and visitors. All Americares staff and visitors who are on-site at any of our locations or who will be traveling for work must be fully immunized (including a booster, if applicable) against COVID-19, unless a exemption required by law applies.
Americares is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, pregnancy or any pregnancy-related condition, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To request a disability accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please contact us at [email protected]
How to register